AURORA | Exploring The Old Balete Tree




Balete Tree. Known to many because of the eerie stories attached to its name. I'm sure you've heard of the story Babae sa Balete Drive, right? Wherein a veiled white lady would either flag cars down at night or would suddenly appear inside the car. Eek! Omg! These kind of stories have long been part of the Philippine folklore that scared the wit out of most of us in our childhood. Agree?

That's the same reason why I didn't even tried to get near the Balete Tree during my first visit in Aurora last November 2014. Nakakatakot sya sa gabi!


This time though, since I have friends with me and the sun is out, I decided to explore what's inside the old Balete Tree. Okay na sana, I was eager and curious. I wasn't scared at all, until, Raymond, our guide, mentioned that his previous guests took photos inside the tree, then later on found unexplained images after their shoot.

I told him: "Stop it please, wag ganun!"
Then i heard Titus, saying, "Padaan po..", as he walks inside the tree,

Whaat! Okay fine! Sige ako na nga din. Tabi tabi po!

As the memories from my childhood flashed in my head.

Side Story: When I was younger, like in the typical folklore stories, I was told that I accidentally bothered an elf while I was playing outside our neighbor's house. Back then, I was in an environment who wildly believes that when you disturb a mythical creature, they will curse you or instill sickness on you. 

I was perfectly fine that night. So, when my aunt noticed that I suddenly developed rashes around my neck, and I was already having a hard time breathing, she immediately brought me to a folk healer to get rid of the "spell". We were then asked to offer candles for forgiveness, and almost instantly, the rashes went away. Hah!

How about you? 
Do you believe in supernatural beings? 
Have you had any experiences?

---
After a few minutes, I found everyone outside, climbing the Balete Tree!
Haa!~ Of course, I want to climb too! But. Wait. How?

Seriously having a hard time climbing.

According to the locals, this tree is 60 meters tall with a 15 meter circumference. Imagine 60 people with arms outstretched to encircle the trunk. That's how big it is. It's only 600 years old, but already gained the millennium title and has then become the most visited spot in Aurora.

Due to its age, it's roots have grown hard like small trunks forming what seems like maze that leads to a hollow chamber inside the tree. It's so thick that it can actually support you as you climb your way up to the top. 




Oh! Pardon my ignorance, but I just learned this recently. 

Did you know that Balete Trees are actually vines, like parasites, that entraps a host tree while choking it to death? As in stealing the nutrients while strangling the host with it's roots. Ugh. How morbid. Must be the reason why people have attached creepy stories behind this tree. Ang scary! 

Oh well. That's lesson# 1 in Botany for me while on the road. Haha!

How To Get There

You can hail a tricycle from the town proper of Baler going to the Balete Park in Brgy, Quirino, Maria Aurora. Travel time is around 30 minutes and would cost around Php 80 per person; one way. 

If you're travelling as a group and you're planning to visit all the tourist spots in the area, it's better to just rent a tricycle for the day tour. Standard rate is Php 800 per tricycle and it can accommodate 3 to 4 people. Sulit na ang Php 200 per head for the Balete Park, Ditumabo Falls, Hanging Bridge, Ermita Hill, Lukso-Lukso Islet, and Aniao Islet -- You can also try to include the Dicasalarin Cove and Baler Lighthouse, if you still have time (and the energy) to climb a steep hill.

There's a Php 10 entrance fee for the maintenance of the Balete Park. No extra charge for the guide if you want to climb all the way up the tree, but a tip is a prerequisite. A small charge to pay for safety. There'll be no safety gears to protect you from any accidents, so it's better to have somebody that's already familiar to the tree. The height of a 5-storey structure is not a joke. So, please. Safety first!  

With love, wearing a KSA Maxi Dress, in Maria Aurora, Philippines

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...